Forum home The potting shed

Startup Research

Hello.

I am researching a startup which allows gardeners to profit from their produce and the buyers to benefit from a healthier lifestyle. I would be delighted if you could take five minutes to fill in my survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/63DPJPQ

Thank you for your time.

Matt 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283

Nice idea Matt, I found even with my small veg plot this year I got a surplus at times, offsetting the costs would always help.

• Hi GemmaJF. Thanks for the feedback. Its great to have some support with the idea. I had exactly the same problem. A small plot with big yields led to a lot of surplus and some waste which ended up in the compost. 

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

As I grow on an allotment site, even if I wanted to, it's against the rules to sell excess crops

• Hi Matt I would love to know locally where to purchase excess veg/honey from a local gardener bee keeper, rather than a shop - think you have a great idea image

• I imagine if the rules say you cannot "sell", you can still swap......bit pointless otherwiseimage

Create your own market............most small communities are more than pleased to help with something like this..........or put up a sign "Veg" (or honey, or WHY ) by your gate.......there's always people looking for stuff......you may be surprisedimage

• Hi all thank you for the wonderful feedback.

Fleurisa - thats food for thought. I have done a quick google search and found this:http://www.organiclea.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/sellingallotmentproduce.pdf

There seems to be a bit of a grey area surrounding selling from allotments so thank you for making me aware of this. 

Edd - I agree!

StillLearning - The idea for the business is to put communities of veg gardeners and other related producers in touch with one another but in a slightly different way. 

Philippa smith2 - You have read my mind, I'm looking to scale the whole idea of selling surplus from your gate. image

• granmagranma Posts: 1,879

It's just a thought but ..........

On the point of selling produce from your allotment. , I wonder if it's same as running a business from your home , would it be classed as a business ? And would you be expected to pay more in the allotment charges, would it be looked at like a market garden ???

• Gran........I think the idea of an Allotment really is to produce food (or flowers or WHY ) for yourself and family.  The following is not aimed at you but there does seem to be a few misapprehensions re the purpose of Allotments.

If you were to set up a Stall to sell your produce, you would be running a business.  Given the fact that most Allotments are extremely cheap, this would be giving you a very unfair advantage over a Market Garden.  Nothing to stop you swapping excess produce with your fellow Allotmenteers  or taking it home and selling it at your garden gate. 

Allotments were originally set up to provide local people with space to grow their own food.  Not everyone sticks to this rule but those that don't should be asked to run their business elsewhere. 

I don't know the ins and outs of running a business from your own home these days without applying for PP to do so but so many people do........buying and selling via the Internet for a profit constitutes a business enterprise.  I suspect that provided you pay your taxes to the IR's standard, no one is really going to question it.

Let's keep Allotments for the purpose they were intended........to keep you in veg...sell your excess at your garden gate by all means but if you want to run a commercial enterprise, do the decent thing and buy or rent the land to do it from.

Rant overimage

• granmagranma Posts: 1,879

Thanks philippa...image.... my questions answered in one !image Even in a rantimage!!!!

Must admit  I did at first find it odd that it was against the rules , though looking at your explanation of the allotment  association  it is understandable.image