The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Cheapest houseplants ever

WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,173

Back in August I bought a couple of Colocasia roots from a Carribean grocers (or 'coco root' as they call them). Potted on they are growing nicely, and only cost me 30p each! 

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,293

Nice......very nice image  Always interesting to try "exotics" isn't it ? 

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,173

I think it might have been better to start them off in March though, so they could be planted out in the garden once they got going!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,079

WillDB, hi,I love your plants. Do you think they might send me some roots in the post? We don't have the luxury of a "Carribean Grocer" here in sleepy North Devon.

Devon.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,293

Will........I take it you are only putting them outside for the summer ?

Same here Hostafan............the SW is definitely short on that sort of storeimage

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 7,343

WillDB.  Well done Will.  I bought one of those from GC this Autum, it's also called a Red Banana plant. It's about 3ft tall now. Cost me a fiver. Mine is in the summerhouse.  

Great to get a plant like that from a seed. image

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 7,343

Will.  Forget the seed bit. Wasn't reading it properly. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,821

Colocasia is Taro. The roots are eaten. Not the same as a banana plant.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,173

That's right Philippa, they'll have to cope as houseplants until late spring.

I can't find anywhere that sells them online but if anyone's desperate for one, drop me a PM and I'll see if I can pick one or two up next time I pass the shop and we can arrange postage. (Could only do this for a couple of folk due to time commitments!)