Forum home Fruit & veg

storing chili's

what is the best way of storing very hot chili's that preserve the flavour and the heat? I've dried in the past, but find it looses the flavour.

anyone know of a better way of preserving them??

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,159

Freeze them whole or make chilli jams for adding to sauces.  Flavour oils and vinegar with them.   Blitz with butter and some garlic if you like then roll up like a sausage in cling film and freeze. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

I keep a jam jar in the freezer and just add regularly as they ripen, I actually still have a few to cropimage

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • I freeze mine image

• I dry some in the oven and grind them up for chilli powder image

• thanks very much. I think freezing is going to be the best option

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Putting in oil they can rise to the top and go mouldy,so I freeze them if you cook with them.To dry them they have to be thin skinned or they won't dry properly.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I did:nt know that thank you,Edd
  • If you decide to freeze them, which is what I do, it's best to chop them up whilst still frozen rather than letting them thaw first. Less tingly on the old pinkies!

• I put them in a jar of olive oil with lots of garlic cloves. Once the oil has been flavoured, I pour some into a saucer and dip crusty bread into it and munch.

Absolutely delicious. French kiss anyone?? image Burp!

• Hmmm I haven't the slightest idea, but google does advise to mix extra virgin olive oil with cheaper grades til the required sluttiness is achieved.

Hope this is of some help?