Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Composting

Shredders are the best thing ever for compost.All my prunings and larger debris go through the shredder to reduce composting time.Wood does not rot from the outside, but from the cut ends (otherwise all the trees would fall over)so make as many cut ends as you can.

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

I love that touch,now which is the shreader to get its been asked so many times and i still haven't decided yet,

• I asked for one on our local freecycle and got one. It is amazing - but very noisy and a bit temperamental. It stops when I try to put too much in and sulks for a while then carries on.

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

i use a rotary electric lawnmower-it's fast and quiet and almost never clogs-can handle half inch branches. this week i shredded a pile 6x6x8 in about an hour which from my experience with shredders would probably have taken all day or longer. sometimes i dream about the kind of shredder arborists use-neighbors might think it was excessive.image

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

years ago arborists were doing all the trees across the street so i asked them if i could get some of the shreddings when they were finished. foreman said sure. a while later i heard i strange noise. they had pointed the shredder over the top of my hedge and let go. mulched the entire garden in about 15 min. kinda messy though.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,380

David spikes, that did make me laugh out loud.Thanks

Devon.