Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Trees for small gardens revisited

cloud8cloud8 Posts: 101
Nooooooo James!

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..I agree....nooooo...lol... in that I didn't like many of James's choices, or at least I don't have any experience of them which is more to the point...

..my choices would be:

Sorbus vilmorinii

Sorbus cashmiriana

Sorbus 'Joseph Rock'

Prunus 'Spire'

Amelanchier 'Ballerina'

Sophora Japonica 'pendula'

Eucalyptus if suitably pruned

a Cornus kousa variety...

Cotinus 'Grace' which can be trained as a small tree

can't think of any others offhand...

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,053

I love the ornamental pear - Pyrus salicifolius but more importantly, I love reading anything James writes. Always amusing and entertaining and his descriptions often make me laugh out loud image

Love those three Sorbus as well Salino

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

I would add:

Betula pendula Youngii

Sorbus sargentiana

Malus Golden hornet

Genista aetnensis

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 977

I love my Cornus kousa when it flowers,  the strawberry like  fruits disappoint me as they are few and far between but it is just colouring up beautifully for autumn.

• All good thing's must come to an end,it's been good reading thank you James,We have a Tulip tree in the garden which flower's most year's.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,159

Never mind the trees.  It's the way he writes that is so entertaining and informative and he mentions interesting plants which can be researched if not known.

I shall miss the blog but wish him well.

I trust his own blog will continue once his house move is completed.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • How about Tree Ferns please? I have raised some Dicksonia Antartica from spores and they are now in their sixth year and still fairly small with no established trunks yet. Will I need to wait until the last frost has passed before taking them outside. Presumably they would be best kept in containers until more established?

David.