Forum home Fruit & veg

Strawberrys

Hello everyone

Can anyone one tell when is the best time to plant strawberrys and how many plants should i use . They will be going in a plot 2m by 1m

Thanks

Barry

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156

Hi Barry, you'll only get around 12 to 15 plants in an area that size  as they'll each spread to about 1 foot, so you might want to get a couple of different varieties to give you a succession of fruit. Mulch in between them to keep weeds down. Then you can take runners each year to gradually replace stock. That way you won't need to buy any more plants. You can plant potted strawbs any time as long as the ground is favourable. They'll not do much now until next spring  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,578

Its a good idea to lay a sheet of the weed suppressing fabric down, cut little slots for the plants, keeps them clean and you can pop a few slug pellets underneath so not to upset any other creatures, if you don't, they will eat your strawberries quicker than you can.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• bazabaza Posts: 657

Thanks for the tips

barry

• any time between now and April, but i recommend a planting fertilizer  to help them, what i found good was re-usable strawberry bags http://www.thegardenfactory.co.uk/index.php/products/2-herb-planting-bag-planters-reusable