Potted Climber for a Shady Wall

I'm looking for a climber, that will sit happily in a pot on my balcony and will live on a shady wall. It probably gets an hour or two of afternoon sun at best. The longer the season of interest the better.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks,

Owen.

• One of the prettier variegated small leaf Ivies maybe.  An hour or 2 of sunshine does rather limit you.  You could try some Spring bulbs around the base to "lift" it a little.  I expect there will be more suggestions soonimage

• ommthreeommthree Posts: 314

Thanks Philippa smith. I'm not too keen on ivy, I must admit. I think I'll make some more accurate observations of the amount of sun. 

My balcony is awful really. The balcony from the flat above casts such a lot of shade. Will definitely think about that a lot more next time I move!

• Mmmm..... I see your problem.  What about training some Vinca major ( the variegated leaf ) up a support ?  Blue flowers. Evergreen ferns may do well too.

As you say, check your sunlight hours......may be you could get something else more to your liking image

You don't always get chance to look at every aspect when you move house but anyway, I hope you manage to do something with the balcony whilst you are thereimage

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,690

Lots of clematis grow perfectly well in shade but most don't like pots unless they are very large and deep.  However, modern breeding has produced some cultivars which do well in largish pots - try googling for 'boulevard' and 'top to bottom clematis' if you like that idea.image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,435

If you get a big pot and feed and water well,you can grow climbing hydrangea

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.