Forum home Talkback

spring bulbs have sprung!

I planted my bulbs mid October using the advice I had read about buying bulbs as soon as they were in the shops. I used ones that were already in cardboard trays, and planted at the suggested depth. The ones planted straight into my borders have started growth, and I would say the leaves of what I think might be daffodils are about 5 inches tall... the bulbs were mixed, so perhaps not daffodils?? The bulbs in pots are showing through ever so slightly. Have I done something wrong, what can I do to rectify? surely they'll be hit by the first frost?  Should I cover with more compost, or just leave well alone?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,566

They're hardy and won't be troubled by frosts. There's a thread on here, posted within the last few days, about daffodils already in flowerimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,444

Hi Victoria - they're tough as old boots - they can be covered with a couple of feet of snow and come through unscathed.  Don't worry about them - just look forward to enjoying them. 

You've done absolutely nothing wrong image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,444

Snap Nut image  See you Tuesday

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,566

image Dove.