clematis cartmanii joe
I have a large enclosed carport which I hoped to use as a sort of conservatory and fill with suitable plants. Last year I bought 2 clematis carmanii joe plants and put them in separate tubs. Despite careful watering with rain water they slowly started turning brown over the winter of 2013. In the spring I decided as a last resort, to cut off the brown and place the tubs outside, where they have remained healthy looking. My garden is very small but enclosed on 3 sides by high walls therefore very sheltered and the plants face to the west. My problem is, - do I keep them out over winter and hope they survive, or should I put them back into the carport if it gets very cold and risk them going brown again? Any advice would be most welcome.