Forum home Talkback

Average Spend in garden centre

Hi There,

I was wonder if people could maybe help. How much would you say you would spend on average to a trip to the garden centre?

Many thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,568

Can I ask why you want to know?   I'm a curious sort of personimage

And to answer the question, it all depends - I've been known to come away with a plant for £3 from the Nearly Dead shelf, or a few fibre pots for £1.99 - at other times of the year I can walk away in a sort of stupor having spent £75 or more on some plants and compost. 

If I'd got room to plant a few trees and some more shrubs I'd spend £100s. 

Don't think you can average it out and end up with anything meaningful - there are so many variables.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nic10Nic10 Posts: 16

Thanks for the input, yes I am sorry i was a bit very specific.

I’m thinking of doing a little garden centre and just trying to work out in my head if it will work.

Suppose a bit market research. Was thinking why not do something I love as a job.

So I the answer to your question Philippa is everything

Here is another question, would you think of visiting you local garden centre more if it was closer?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,568

My other half works next door to the garden centre and now I'm retired I often take him to work and before I retired a little while ago there was another garden centre just around the corner from my office.

My answers probably wouldn't be of any help as they'd be totally unrepresentative of most people in my demographic. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Happy to reply if you can be a bit more specific, people spend in coffee shops, buy cards and books , Xmas decorations etc. I could better answer if question was about a nursery.

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,218

I dont spend to much in garden centres, but i do go often when i get round to fixing my bike. Most of the time i go for just a look around see if I fancy anything. I usually spend £5 - 20 per visit rarely more. I normally buy seeds - small plants - compost - bulbs - and little pieces like plant labels / trays etc.

I went to garden centre today and bought a few terracotta bowl / pots for some hycathis and some double flower Daffodils bulbs it come to £9.85. i did go for some dwarf daffs but £3 for 10 bulbs seemed a little steep to me image

christmas stuff was everywhere aswell, iam not a fan to be honest

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..I spend whatever I've got in my purse at the time... it's an opportunity to blow the lot...

• I spend far too much image 

i tend to buy stuff I want for my allotment, or good pots. 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

How about getting a job in a garden centre first just to get the feel of it - part time on a Saturday perhaps if you already have a full time job..  One of our forum members posted recently that they had just got a job (managerial in think) in a garden centre and it was his 'dream job' as he loved gardening so much. 

• Hi Nic, 

I live in quite a rural area.  I would love a quality garden centre near me that offered quality local organic material (mulch type - manure etc), quality plants and quality advice all of which at competitive prices.  I often find myself googling online for compost etc trying to find the most economical way around it.  I'd love so much to have a one stop shop and massively support local.  One quality of being local, you would have great knowledge of soil conditions.

I am very new to gardening so perhaps I don't know the good tricks of the trade yet, or maybe I'm wrong in what I'm thinking.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,485

I might go to the garden centre because I need a bag of compost, or a pack of lables, but I might buy a suite of furniture. For me, there's not such thing as average spend. Sorry.

Devon.