Forum home Fruit & veg

Garlic

I have just planted some garlic cloves in deep troughs in my greenhouse.  Can you please tell me if, because they are not open to the environment, should I water the soil occasionally before they start to show actual growth.

• According to OH you don't need to water much between now and March, but if you've got heating in your greenhouse for other plants, just keep your soil damp, not waterlogged.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Autumn planting garlic needs to be outside really, they need the cold weather to produce decent sized cloves.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,439

Hello , Dave Morgan is right

however if the G/H is unheated , could be ok , would be interested to see how you do image

• I'm just about to plant mine, but the space I have has been used before to plant garlic(2 years ago) . Will the soil need a good feed with my homemade compost before I do it. I know we should rotate crops, ideally.

• The first lot of garlic I planted up did absolutely bugger all. Nothing. 

I have put another lot in at the allotment this time, straight in the ground. Hopefully these will take! I'll find out when I go there in the morning image 

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,439

Diggingdoris , Most books recommend a 3 yr crop rotation so should be ok 

don't think garlic needs to rich a soil , so personally I put a bit bone meal done , do far it is one of my crops that always do well , fingers crossed for next year image

• Thank you GWRS, though I can't put bone meal down as the dog digs it up and eats it! Home made compost will have to do. It;s good stuff though, just like Monty's, soft, crumbly and sweet smelling.