Forum home Garden design

Small pond

D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,447

I am building a large rockery over the winter and quite like the idea of a small pond in it. However, the budget is very limited (OH has a priority list and garden isn't on it), I have seen a small preformed pond (74 x 89 x 30cm) and as there is no electricity anywhere close was wondering about a small solar powered oxgenating pump. 

Can people tell me their thoughts on this, will it be so small that it will just be a waste of time (have a little image of a few pond plants, iris, little grasses and lobelia). 

It is not a typical space for a rockery, it has pockets of shade and partial shade, but when the sun hits the main bit it does get hot. Was thinking of putting pond in the shadiest bit. 

Like the idea of attracting wildlife, not sure about fish, (will it be too small? ) but don't want it to become a midgy hot spot.

Grateful for any ideas/advice, especially about efficiency of solar pumps. 

Thank you. 

Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors. – Mary Cantwell

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,926

If it's to be a wildlife pond you don't need a pump or fish.  We put in a small pond last year using a flexible liner - the pond is about 2m x 1.5m and only about 2ft deep at the deepest bit - we couldn't go deeper because of tree roots.  It's in shade for half of the day and for our pond this is good because as it's shallow the water would overheat if it was in sunlight all day.  We put plenty of native plants in the pond, especially hornwort, watercress and brooklime which are good oxygenators.  We started things off with a couple of litres of water from a ditch on the nearby marshes and within a few weeks wildlife was making itself at home.  We have Common newts, frogs, toads, damsel and dragon flies to name just a few creatures regularly seen thereand a grass snake has visited and eaten a frog.  It's the best thing we've done in this garden - we waste hours laying on our tummies peering into the water watching the life in there - much better than the telly image 

The first pic is quite soon after it was planted etc, and the second is just a couple of months later image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DD......IMO even a small patch of water adds an extra dimension to your garden.  There are a couple of threads about Ponds so would be worth looking thru.  Can't help with the solar pump...sorry.

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,447

Thank you both so much, Dove really super pics and the wildlife is exactly the sort of thing I am after. Good to hear I won't need a pump, seems if you get the right plants they do all the work. image

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,539

Hi DD think a pond no matter how small will be fantastic image

Not an expert but sure I heard or read they are best in sunny positions though?

doves pond is gorgeous image

• DD.......I don't know whether you are far south enough but if you do a Pond, look out for Marbled Newts.  Larger than ours and a beautiful Green/Black.  We had them in our 2nd year of the pond (Midi Pyrennees area ) .image

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,447

They sound interesting. I am hoping for good things, our garden backs onto a large pond that clearly has fish in it and lots of wildlife, think I will be getting my first few buckets of water from there. image

I didn't realise how easy (with some planning) it would be to make a wildlife pond, have read lots of interesting posts and information sites. We have actually had a few frogs end up in the swimming pool so hopefully their own more suitable pool will save them that trauma. 

We do have a lot of very mature trees and am concsious of all the leaves but with some forethought hopefully we can prevent too many ending up in the pond. My biggest concern was it going stagnant without aeration but again seems if I get the right plants all will be well. 

Quite excited about it all now, autumn garden jobs coming to an end so work on rockery to start soon and all advice seems to be build in winter, plant up in spring. Timing is perfect. image

• DD.......obviously the bigger the pond, the less trouble with stagnation but given the right combination of plants it shouldn't be a problem.  All I would say is that if it is only small and not very deep, take care exactly where you site it. Evaporation can be more of a problem in a long hot summer in S. France than it can here.  Surface coverage (say one of the Dwarf Water Lillies ) would certainly help that possible problem.  If you get a problem with blanket weed, don't forget the Watercress solution !  Small guage netting spread over in Autumn will help keep the majority of debris from ending up in the pond.

Look forward to hearing how you get onimage 

• I made a pond 2 metres x 3 metres in my garden in Maidenhead, Berkshire.  I filled it with tap-water and added oxygenating plants and marginal plants.  Within days the pond had been colonised by all sorts of flying insects and snails.  Then newts, frogs, toads and a snake.  When we saw nine young ducklings swimming about on it we realised it was a success!  Our cats were very nervous of them and hid in the undergrowth!

• Tricia....imageimage

• I recently saw a thread where someone had simply sunk an old plastic washing up bowl into the ground and then planted a few smaller marginal plants  in it. Within a couple of months they had posted a picture of a frog enjoying the water and the plant life image So I guess no bit of water is too small to enhance your garden.