Forum home The potting shed

So many worms

I find an incredible number or worms as I dig my garden. I generally put them on to a different bed or the compost bin. I hate it if I find I have dug through a worm imageimage

I was wondering though, is there a critical mass point for worms? How many can live in a given space?

cheers.

• I think its been a good year for worms, i have loads too. I think they only breed as many as there are resources for. I've been pit composting though which creates more food for them.

What I'd like to know is if there is a way to attract them. If you could go out the day before and attract them to an area where you are not going to dig, then you could then safely dig an area without killing too many

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

If you have too many worms send a few this way.  I'm lucky to see a couple of them when I'm digging on the wet heavy clay.  We have added so much organic matter over the years but it's not getting any better.

Reckon they've all  gone to Londonimage

• Edd, unfortunately that's a little incorrect, if you cut a worm in half 90% of the time you end up with two halves of a dead worm.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I think only a tail can regenerate

• I don't think you can have too many worms........either your basic Earth worm or the posher compost inhabitants.  I have a lot of both and can't say I've noticed them holding demos and complaining about overcrowdingimage

• Haha, no I haven't seen any demos, but I think there may have been a few orgies image

I wonder I I can post a few to Lesley ? image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I'd accept but it would be a death sentence for themimage

• I've either read or seen an item about worm charming. I seem to remember an experiment where lots of different techniques were compared, and isn't there a place where they have a worm charming event? Must go and look it up!

Here - http://www.wormcharming.com/