Forum home Fruit & veg

Lemon Tree success

This spring a friend gave me the best Birthday present ever - a G&T kit consisting of 1 Lemon Tree 1 bottle of Gin & 1 of Tonic.  The tree sits in our conservatory, was fed copious amounts of Baby Bio Citrus Food and has now produced 6 magnificent lemons.  I'm amazed for such a small tree.  Has it spent itself?  Hopefully not and we can enjoy many more lemons in the future.  The only problem is the gin was quaffed months ago!

Good luck to all those fruit growers.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

That how lovely and so rewarding!

we have a lime tree, bought six years ago. It is very delicate and the limes fall at the slightest thingimage 

I am assuming the principals for watering will be the same as a lemon, can you please share your care plan?!image

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I have always wanted a lemon tree, might treat myself to oneimage

• Hi Jane,

Monty Don has his outside in the summer and brings them in for the winter, so I think your safe for a good few years yet. Sounds like you have a happy treeimage

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,540

Me too artjak but don't have a conservatory image Saw a beauty at the GC couple of weeks back, it was massive and covered in lemons! I believe about five hundred pounds but believe me it was a beauty.  I hope they remember to take it in soon before the frosts come! 

Yours sounds lovely Jane, have you tried a lemon yet? Did you save some gin? image

• BMum.........depends where you live.  Mature citrus will take some frost (you may get tip damage but that's not a real problem ) but they really don't like the wet and cold combined.  Don't know that I'd be willing to pay £500 thoimage 

Artjac..........I've just taken some cuttings of mine ( variety "Quatre Saisons" ) so if any good, you could always have one ( you might have to way a bit for the fruit tho ! )image