Forum home Fruit & veg

anyone tried growing peanuts

over the years I have tried growing a variety of weird and wonderful fruit and veg, the good ones get grown again (New Zealand Yams) the bad ones don't (Celeriac and Kohl Rabi).

next year i'm planning on growing liquorice (Sutton seeds - James Wong ones) and peanuts, I've done my research and as long as I grow them in my polytunnel and keep the mice off them it looks easy (which worry's me!)

has anyone tried growing peanuts in this country??

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,478
    No, but I used to know a chap from Ghana who grew them at his home there. Very hot and wet is Ghana.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thought about it before now but never done it.  Where did Jimmy Carter ( US President in the '70's I think ? ) live  ?  Southern states ? He must rank as the most famous Peanut Farmer.  It was somewhere warmer than here thoimage

As well as the warmth, would you not need a fair bit of ground space for them ( I thought they spread a fair way but could be wrong ? ).  Could you grow a "quick surface crop" at the same time ?

Be interested to hear how you get on if you decide to go for itimage

• I've grown them for fun with Cub Scouts!  But you won't get very far outdoors - you have to grow them in large pots indoors.  It's very simple - just get the peanuts in their shells (unsalted!!!) and when you're ready to plant, pop the nut out of the shell and into a large pot of multi-purpose compost.  Adding a bit of sand to the mix is a good idea to help with drainage.

Keep the pot in the a light and warm place, keep it damp and wait for the shoot to appear.  Eventually you'll have a plant that will send out shoots that curve over to the ground, and once they reach the soil, they will bury themselves and produce new nuts under the soil. 

Best to wait until the spring for this when the light levels are higher!  Good luck. 

• I've got a 15 x 30 foot polytunnel to use, so warmth and space shouldn't be a problem. image I have an auto watering system too. just have to deal with my mouse problem overwinter, otherwise I think they'll get the new peanuts before I do!

i'm going to plant them in about mid April in propagators and plant out early may, i'll let everyone know how they're going.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,478
    I'll have the beers ready image
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.