Forum home The potting shed

So fed up with all this rain!!!!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,143

I have so many things I need to do in the garden but it's just impossible with all this rain.

I had a new lawn laid a few weeks ago and I have managed a first mow but now it is in dire need of another haircut before the winter sets in.

Leaves falling all over the place in wet heaps.

I have a project ready to go.I am going to put edging stones round one of my borders so the soil level can be made higher.Got all the stuff ready to start just need the rain to stop for a few days.

Thought I would tidy the garage up but it is too bloomin' cold out there,I can't feel my fingers!

...and to top it all I now have a rat in the garden.......

So I shall sit here perusing all the plants I want to buy and garden ideas on the internet that I shall possibly use next year.

Ironically I am into succulents and drought resistant plants etc as the weather was so hot and dry this summer!!!!!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• vic14vic14 Posts: 82
    Oh dear madpenguin. I know how you feel ive just replaced my fence so now need to tidy the garden. Too cold and wet though image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Where are you both?

Lovely here, and has been for several days

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,534

Just started reading a book by a Canadian soil expert called "Improving your soil " by Keith Reid

Im taking this damp opportunity to become a very boring expert on soil so I can allienate my fellow Allotmenteers every time we meet !!

Perhaps you could take one subject and improve your knowledge so when you  "get out and on it " you are more knowledgable

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
    Im in the midlands nutcutlet. Im looking at plants i would like to buy while im stuck inside
    Oh dear madpenguin. I know how you feel ive just replaced my fence so now need to tidy the garden. Too cold and wet though image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Newboy's suggestion sounds good but it's hard when you want to be out there doing.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,143

I'm on the Isle of Wight and the forecast looks to be rain for at least a week and possibly more image

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,534

If your garden / plot is big enough you can plan a pond or design a raised bed or learn about rotation or follow on planting or "dealing with clay soil "

After 3 seasons on my allotement I now know that I dont know what I dont know !!

In other words Nature is amazing and very very challenging  image

The local vicar was looking over the fence at the garden of a new arrival who had at last tamed his garden

"Look how well Gods Garden is looking today " to which the chap said " Yes Vicar  but you should have seen it when he had it on his own "  image

No offence meant

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

Dorset could definitely be described as damp, as in very.  I'm supposed to be on the IoW on Sunday for a Geology Festival.  I do hope the crossing isn't too rough as I'm a very poor traveller. And before anyone says 'it's all in the mind' I've been travel sick since 18 months old and I'm now 76.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

Dorset, that's one heck of a bout of sickness. 74 1/2 years. image

Devon.