Forum home The potting shed

Not gardening but a computer question

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,581

We have one like that upstairs. I do the videos on it. Again, dead easy. Big screen. and wifi to printer.

http://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/apple/apple-mac/c700009798

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

The real problem KEF is that as soon as you get a new comp/tablet/OS its out of date by the time you've driven home, such is the speed of technological advance now. That said, I've seen computers in the local GP's surgery and hospitals that are still using XP. I pointed out to a pharmacist recently that they needed to upgrade, she had been running through my medication with me and confessed she knew nothing about computers.

I'm still using windows 7 and think support will be around for a while yet...hopefully image

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,292

I'd go for Windows 7.
    Now that support has ceased for XP, Win7 is the next best option.
    I'm not a fan of Win8 even with the new makeover.
    Win10 I think will be available in a year or so.

A good place to look is the Dell Outlet site - I paid £800 for top spec PC (I'm not a gamer so have no need for a fancy and expensive graphics card) but has 3TB disk, 24GB RAM and 3.2GHz i7 processor. It is also very quiet when running which is important to me.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • If you uninstalled Internet explorer, Outlook would disappear since it's all part of the package. You can reinstall it fairly easily though, just search it on google image

Chrome is very good as a browser, so I'm surprised that it won't run youtube videos. Will the pages just not load or are the videos themselves broken (and the rest of the site running okay)?

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Ann image

Thanks for link Fidget image

Grateful for any replies I'll check back in the morning image

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Just popped back in, thanks for all info image Bet I don't sleep tonight image 

BKnitter I confused you, I downloaded Google chrome today and lost access to internet explorer/outlook so removed it and went back to plain old Google( don't laugh) Youtube won't run due to old browser same with a lot of websites.  

OH has Chrome on tablet and is happy with it. Bought him that so he didn't break the PC lol!   That's my job imageimage

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..I wonder who your ISP is?  if you're with EE - formerly Orange - you get Norton 360 free for one year and half price after that...

..to work smoothly with Norton so that it doesn't slow down your pc or laptop... you need a reasonable amount of RAM - the memory -  I've got 8GB on mine and that's fine, I wouldn't want anything less... mine is a laptop with Windows 8.1... I've got used to it now....I rather like it..didn't at first... so nothing to be afraid of..and it's the latest system.. but all down to what you can afford really...

..wouldn't you like a nice laptop?

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,460

Have you thought about Apple iPad 

I would not be with mine image

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,336

I have to agree that Apple stuff is expensive & not with out a few glitches BUT - I know loads of people who have migrated from PC's & Windows to Macs (Apple) & would not switch back.

I do not know anybody who has opted to switch from Macs to PC.

After several frustrating years of running PC's & Windows & having to do all that stuff of defragmenting discs / running anti-virus / doing scans & not always being sure of what I was doing when putting on new software, I switched to Apple.

Everything just works - it's easy & usually very intuitive. There are occasional glitches but these are usually solved by simply rebooting the computer. There is usually a solution on-line to other more difficult problems (can't think of any just now) and the tech guys in any of the Apple stores are really good at helping you sort out problems with hardware and software as well as just showing you how to do things.

I think the after care is also pretty good. As far as I am aware Apple are still supporting old operating systems that people have chosen to stick with for whatever reason. The last 2 operating system upgrades (equivalent of going from XP to Windows 7 or 8) have been free. About 2 years ago there was a world wide recall of all iMacs of a certain age because a degradation problem was detected on the hard discs & there was a risk of failure. Consequently I got a brand new hard disc on my 4 year old machine. I know several people running really old macs with no problems at all.

Security & software updates come through regularly and are very, very easy to install. The computer works overnight (abt 3am I'm told) doing the equivalent of defragmenting every night so the hard disc doesn't get chugged up like a PC does.

My OH was very sceptical & quite derisory when I announced I wanted to switch to an iMac. He now has an iPhone, an iPad and a macbook - 'nuff said - he's converted.

Sorry if I sound like an Apple sales person (I'm not!) but I really love the products & find they make life much easier - yes, you are paying for style & the name but it is also a good product.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down