seeds or pelleted seeds

Thought I might try Bacopa in my hanging baskets - is it better to start with seeds, pelleted seeds or cheat and just by plug plants?

Thanks in Advance

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,363

Depends.

How many plants do you want?

Have you got a greenhouse to bring seedlings on?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,531

I always just save the seeds from the previous year but they are very tiny, as fidget says depends on what you want, you do need heat for them to germinate, I put them on the kitchen windowsill, they are very tiny seeds so if you don't want many plants pelleted would be good, they are more expensive though.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I have a greenhouse also heated propagator and have just purchased 4 easy fill baskets so at least 16 plants for them and then 4 wall mounted baskets.

If you have any suggested as to what would look good with them that would be great.

Used Fuchsias and begonias this year - but not very successful - infact  looked pathetic  (a few of them are still alive - moved them into the greenhouse to see if they will over winter - not sure if they will or not

As you can tell I don't know anything about plants image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,531

Fuchsias and begonias are sometimes plagued with vine weevil, tip all the plants out of the soil and put it on your compost heap, making sure you get every weevil out, the check the roots on the fuchsias,  If no weevils, cut off the very thick roots, you only need the fibrey bits, repot, then keep in a frost free greenhouse. Cut them back to about an inch when they show signs of shooting next spring.

With the begonias you dry them off on the bench, tap all the old soil off and wrap in paper, then keep in a  frost free shed.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks for your reply lyn,  have just been reading up on  weevil - wish I hadn't - hate bugs and creepies.  This might explain why I have one basket of begonias still in flower and the other one everything is dead.