Forum home The potting shed

Dartford Crossing new system

SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..if any of you use the Dartford crossing you will need to know about this...Perhaps you already do, but I must say it was news to me.... price also going up to £2.50... probably to pay for all the foreign drivers that..you know...won't bother..

https://www.dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk/

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,991

I find it a bit worrying. How do people arriving at Stansted Airport and renting a car get through? How do you pay in advance? Can you use a bank card when you arrive at the crossing? That works well in France. Also we will be driving from the Dover Ferry or the Tunnel next year to East Anglia in my car which has a French registration. How do I pay for the crossing then?

Already we are having trouble with English car parks that want you to type in the car number plate. A lot don't accept a French number plate so we can't buy the ticket. Then I read an article in an English paper that said the French don't pay in car parks because they think they can get away with it. Rubbish, the French can't pay in certain car parks.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..it seems they want you to pay on the internet either before you travel or before midnight the same day after you've gone through the crossing...

..of course, you can phone and pay, cost about 9p per minute...rather like the London congestion charge...lol..

..alternatively get fined about £100... it's a French company that owns it now so I believe...after the Treasury have had their cut...

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 977

Thanks for this info and the very useful link Salino. I live in Essex and don't use the crossing regularly but would just expect to roll up and pay at the kiosk....I too have not seen any info of this on bill boards, newspapers etc in my area. Thanks again.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Some of my clients are really happy about it. Will ease up congestion no doubt. In turn, thats likely to mean more lorries though.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,207

Why on earth don't they just adopt a system where regular users have an account and go through a  pre-paid barrier?   It works in France where regular motorway users pay this way to save money and time but other users have their barriers to go through and can pay by cash or credit as and when they need to use the motorways. 

I would have trouble with the Dartford crossing if traffic conditions make us decide to go that way round instead of our usual clockwise route round the M25 from Dover. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Yes, I agree with you. I have more good and bad experience about car rentals. Last year, I hire a car for travel in Malaysia. The car drivers was very sportable and they were know about all language like english/chinese. I like their services.imageimage