What smells, good or bad, evoke memories

I have lots, but paraffin reminds me of my mothers house in the 50s.  She used to have a paraffin heater on the landing of our two up two down. 

Roast Lamb......lovely Sunday roasts after Mass. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,252

4711 Eau de Cologne - my granny

Chanel No.5 - my mum.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,306

Milking parlours in the same era.........warm and sweetish smellingimage

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

Freshly baked breadimage

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,471

My cats fur, and hyacinths and that frosty morning smell in the garden - lovely!

I don't know what it's called, but there's a certain men's aftershave that makes me gag! I had to move seats on the train when a chap sitting next to me had soaked himself in it!

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,980

I like the smell of petrol - for no particular reason and also the smell of tomatoes when you brush past the leaves in the GH.

...freshly cut grass and and the smell in the air after heavy rain which you only seem to get in the summer on a warm day...

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,156

box hedge  my grandads  garden ,wall flowers  my dadsimage

• Lots of smells remind me of my parents garden as a child, the nice ones are fresh cut grass and brushing against lavenders and thymes, not so nice are melianthus foilage smelling like peanut butter and curry plants smelling like celery!image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

Oh Zoomer, it just shows how objective smell is because I can't stand the smell of tomato leaves but like the smell of the tomatoes.

Quite like WD40image

• I love the smell when someone has a chimney and has lit a fire, reminds with of my childhood and having to share the hearth/rug with the dog image 

i hate the smell of a house plant but I will have to search for the name, just found it- geraniums.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Havanna cigar is always Christmas to me, even if I have to go to Cuba to smell one.

Stardrops cleaning fluid Grandma cleaned everything with it image