Forum home Talkback

Early Bloomers?

I pulled up the kitchen blind last week to see that the Winter Jasmine was in full bloom.  More usually it flowers December-January.

Anyone have any idea why it's so early this year?

Anyone have anything else in flower so early?

• Did you gardeners world last Friday? Monty was talking about this, he had a viburnum mariesii in flower and autumn colours at the same time! nobody knows for sure, but maybe it because of climate change.

• Yes, Bamboogle, I saw that.  Still wondering what other people may have.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..it's funny you should say that about the Jasmine as I've noticed this too...near where I live there is one in flower now and I thought it must be a month early...

..my garden is all mixed up at the moment...roses still blooming...begonias, lobelia and pelargoniums, shrubs with rich autumn colours others defoliating for winter...primroses out...crocus bulbs appearing...and my first flower on Camellia 'St Ewe' arrived Oct 30th.. this is one month before I've ever had it before..previously Nov 30th....(I'm afraid I make notes of these things...lol...)...

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

We had a tiny bit of cool weather followed by much warmer weather than usual for the time of year. That is all that is needed to make spring flowering plants think they've gone through a winter. Other plants will just keep flowering until it is too cold for them. Plants that have their flowering time governed by amount of daylight aren't affected.

• Last week I ad a single flower on a rhododendron than normally flowers in Spring.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I have a few flowers on my forsythia.