Forum home Talkback

Do you know where your pets are tonight?

Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

As the first fireworks started I noticed one of the dogs not in.  Found her trembling in a corner of the garden. 

do you know where all your animal buddies are?

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

our cat charlies flat out on the bed . but shes not worried by the SHELL fire here in north manchesterimage

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,564

Thomas cat is in winter mode, you wouldnt get him outside after 3pm from now till Spring.

He is frightened of thunder but we are so remote here there will 

be no fireworks.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

Our two dogs don't like fireworks, especially our black lab. She is petrified.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Our dog has never been too worried about fireworks before but she's  quivering wreck tonightimage.  I'm leaving her in her chosen corner and not making a fuss about it.  She may realise we're not worried and acting normally.  Trying to anywayimage

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,173

My Border Collie is in bed indoors. He hates bangs, especially thunder, but, living in France, no fireworks tonight. Fireworks are in the summer, especially 14th July, Bastille Day.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

no pets now but we used to find loud music in the house drowned the fireworks enough to reduce the effect on the cats

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545

Fortunately, the economic recession means that the fireworks have largely been written off for the last couple of years. I hate the whole idea of it and am glad to see it gone, for the time being.

One animal curled up in his box by the log fire as usual, the other curled up in the dryer, as usual. OH curled up on the sofa as usual and me in the kitchen, as usualimageimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,158

Over the years, various animals have different reactions.

The cats would usually be found on top of the boiler in the kitchen (default winter mode)

Blacky the alsatian x labrador would be in her basket with some music on.

Sally the heinz 57 would get into a bed and burrow down under the covers.

Sheba the collie x alsatian would sit at the window and watch.

Next doors Dalmatian would run up and down the garden,barking back at the bangs.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

I have had many retired guide dogs over the years and everyone of them was terrified.

they must always have been and no one ever knew. They were just the bravest of animals. One was rehomed to me from Belfast many many years ago. You can imagine what he was like .

our village is very good and we only have fireworks on 5th of nov. I wonder how the sheep and the cows feel?

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Lily Pilly - I hope your doggie has settled down now.  Dogs seem to be ultra sensitive to loud bangs.  As Lesley says, try to act as if it a normal occurrence and not make a fuss.  Our two cats are 'cat napping' but their ears are twitching at the bangs.