Forum home Talkback

Rose Cuttings

Team

I planted some rose cuttings in pots earlier this year and all but 4 survived outside. They have started to push our new shoots with leaves but I need to know :

1/ How will I know when they have rooted successfully, or is the fact they have pushed out new shoots with leaves an indication of this.

2/ Do I need to bring the pots in overnight if a frost is forecast.

3/ When can I plant them into larger pots and what potting medium should I use (soil/compost) and the percentages of each.

Many thanks all

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,229

I would leave them outside in a sheltered corner - just make sure that they don't dry out too much - that shouldn't be a problem in a UK winter!

The fact that there's new growth may indicate that they've taken root, but on the other hand it may not - cuttings do sometimes put up new top growth when the roots have not developed enough to maintain the growth and if they're disturbed the cutting will die.

I usually leave rose cuttings 12 months before planting them up but mine are usually in a slit trench in the ground rather than in pots.  I think you could try potting them on next spring - I'd use a loam-based John Innes No 2 with a little added grit or vermiculite for potting them on - others may disagree.

Let us know how you get on image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,796

Don't know any answers, although I would imagine new shoots means alive & kicking. Would be interested to know how you did it as I have some lovely roses I would like to replicate elsewhere in the garden.

I'll be watching the replies too. image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,031

I have taken cuttings of my Generous Gradener climber this year but, like Dove, i've done them outside in the gound tho mine are dibbered in to some soil in a spot sheltered form prevailing westerlies.  I'll be leaving them a year before disturbing them.

As yours are in pots, I would keep them sheltered but outside for winter - maybe a cold frame to reduce risk of the entire pot freezing in cold spells.   When you see roots coming out of the bottom of the pot you'll know they can be safely potted on to grow big enough to plant out in the borders.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,796

Followed your advice David with potato cuttings and now hoping they will turn out like the parents in the next year or two. Thank you very much, will (hopefully) post a picture of the first flower as soon as it appears, all very exciting. image

This opens up to a beautiful double flower.

This one is called King Arthur and smells divine. 

In the GH now, see what happens. 

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • DD

Nice roses.

Great, make sure the end of the cutting is still dipped in rooting hormone before putting in potato. The potato method might be a tad large for a pot, so open soil would be better. Cut away any potato shoots as they appear above ground and discard any small potato's if they make their way to the surface. Periodically and gently press down the soil around the base of the root as time goes by as the potato will eventually rot away leaving a void around the base of the cutting. By pressing the soil down, this will firm itself up against any potential root structure allowing nutrients to get through.

Good luck

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I did use the rooting powder, the potatoes weren't too big and went in the pot ok, will keep an eye on the potato rotting and press down as required.All very advanced for me, but nothing to lose in trying.image