Forum home Talkback

diabetes

granmagranma Posts: 1,925

Our daughter was diagnosed with this 4 years ago is not managing very well , it's now affecting her eyesight . I am hoping to find how others manage with this condition with this thread .

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,463

Hi Cangran - I've sent you a PM. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dove -  What is a PM?  Mags

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,834

Its a private message Staffs.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

You don't say if your daughter has type 1 or type 2 diabetes, they are quite different and the need different treatment. I HAD type 2, but have managed to recover from it so it's possible, but discipline is the key to both conditions.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,925

She has type 1 ,it came to light  after a very bad pregnancy / delivery  of baby was touch and go,there were complications at birth.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Has your daughter got a dedicated nurse to help her with it, if not, then you should approach her GP. I'm not an expert far from it, but GP's and the health authority are responsible for her care. Diabetes UK can help. Diabetes can be managed, but it takes vigilence and discipline. I know women who have been diagnosed with diabetes after pregnancy, have almost special needs especially when the demands of bringing up a child conflict with the needs of the mother. But help is available, you need to get your daughter to the GP as a matter of urgency. 

Sometimes GP's aren't very good at providing what patients need especially with Diabetes, I know, they did nothing for me, I had to do it myself.

Please try Diabetes UK first, they are extremely helpful, and will give you as much help as they can.

Ultimately though, unless there is an underlying undiagnosed condition, the patient must take responsibility for managing their condition.

Diet, exercise and regular monitoring are the foundations for managing diabetes.

This may sound harsh, but your daughter must think of her child as she will be the foundation of her child's future. 

Diabetes, means being responsible, not only to yourself but others. It is a manageable condition.

• I agree with Dave, you have to monitor constantly. I had a cousin who had type 1, he was very poorly with it in his early years, but he didn't take care of himself once he got to adulthood, smoke and drank way too much and passed away when he was 48.

I had a friend who also had type 1 and she managed her condition very well from an early age.

Diabetes UK will have lots of information on how to manage, and what to look out for infectionwise. It is also very important to look after feet.

When she was first admitted into hospital she was given her first insulin injection into her arm ,they couldn't understand why her level s  rocketed.  The next person she saw was a diabetic nurse who went mad and got her transferred to the diabetics.ward.so I'm a little undecided about

Mike and dove have answered   you,r. Pm.  , thanks ,gran.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Gran - get her to contact Diabetes UK. I took over responsibility for my grandfathers diabetes in his last few years and learnt so much from them including them telling me about support groups and workshops in the local area.

My mum now has diabetes; she was warned about it for long enough but choose not to listen to the doctor telling her to loose weight, exercise more. Ever since her diagnosis and her failure to take some serious action on it (obese, failing eyesight, general attitude of meh...) I've felt nothing bit contempt for her. I fail to understand why when she saw her father suffer an incredibly painful way to die she can't be bothered to save herself. Go on, eat that extra chocolate bar.

Let your daughter know my feelings - remind her that she doesn't just shout up and fight for treatment for herself.  She does it for her family. 

Clarington I'm going on it now.Thanks x,