Forum home Fruit & veg

Glen Lyon Raspberries

Have I missed any information on raspberries and pruning? I have Joan J which are autumn fruiting and taste great. I know I am to cut them right down after Christmas.

Then I also have inherited a row with a label saying Glen Lyon which I think are summer fruiting. These have responded by growing up and right out of the cage that is supposed to protect them. Most of the canes are a nice smooth brown but I am unsure how much to prune them! Not too many green ones at all. If I cut the brown canes right back then I get no raspberries next year? If I don't, then they grow through the roof again. Mmmm.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,773

With summer fruiting types, the easiest thing to do is cut those canes which have fruited down to the ground immediately after fruiting.  The unfruited canes will produce the crop next summer.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Valerie I am trying an experiment this year.  I am going to leave the autumn ones completely alone as a retired grower told me it's an old trick to double the yield!

i have no idea if it will work bit I have masses in a ither site so if it doesn't no harm done if hopefullyimage

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne