Forum home Fruit & veg

blackberries and strawberries

Hi, got a question here if anyone can help, have recently dug up and replanted a trained blackberry bush to another plot in my garden my question is in the soil below it can I put some strawberries in so they grow underneath the blackberries. Have been reading online and it seems that you can do it with raspberries but can't seem to find anyone/anything to suggest its a good idea with blackberries.

Anyone give me advice as to weather its a good idea or bad idea please =)

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    I don't believe it is a good idea to mix up fruiting crops too closely. They put allsorts online. I can't say mixing raspberries and strawberries would work either.

Maybe I'm wrong.
  • Hi, i guess i won't then, just seems to be a waste of space underneath it to be honest and i thought that strawberries would fill the gap up nicely.
    Do you think that i can plant anything alongside it, there is a ton of space at the opposite end of where its been planted
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Well, you will want to give the blackberry a good mulch of manure, which will submerge the strawberries.

Only you will know what you have room for. 'A ton of space', means different things to different people.
  • why not grow the strawbs in pots ! and if they don't work you can move em...

DD

• Hi ccllaarrkkyy, I have planted strawberries in front of my raspberry canes as you say its a good use of space, dont see why it wont work as they are not overcrowded, however, will let you know next year if its a disaster image

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

I tend to fill gaps with other plants and planted onions, shallots and garlic in a currant bed this year as the fruit bushes were only in their second yr of growth and weren't expected to produce any fruit. I had a good legume crop and the fruit tree's are a healthy size ready for a crop next yr.

I've planted strawberries around new cuttings this year to produce fruit next.

If space is at a premium, give it a try, an open, bare bed is only going to attract weeds and if it doesn't work out well, straweberries are easily transplanted elsewhere.