Smallest size for a wildlife pond

I've tried googling but wondered if anyone can advise me?

I have a basic plan in mind for a wildlife pond. It is based on the one we had at our previous house but will have to be considerably smaller. However I am concerned about it being too small and then not attracting the wildlife I am looking for. As long as it is at least 60cm deep does the width/length matter?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607

In our last garden (in the inner city) we had a very small pond - made out of a large plastic tub sunk into the ground.  It was about 2ft across.  It had a small waterlilly in it  and some marginal plants in a couple of pots fixed to the edge.  Within a couple of weeks a frog had found it and he/she became a regular visitor, climbing in and out through the marginal plants, and resting amongst the lily leaves. 

The bigger the pond the more wildlife you'll have, but small ponds are fine image

You might find this thread helpful http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/enlarging-a-pond/550812.html

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,573

Hi Mino,heres some more good stuff.

http://www.cheshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/sites/default/files/files/advice_ponds.pdf             good luck

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,936

Even a bucket, will attract some wildlife.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • Any sort of container even if not waterproof can be used.  Sink into the ground and line but extend the liner ( even 12 inches diam if you are pushed for space) to provide both deep and shallow water.  A miniature water lilly in the deep container and if you wish, some marginals in the shallow surrounds.

It offers 2 environments and takes up very little spaceimage

• BiljeBilje Posts: 415

I've a tiny pond in the middle of a bog garden it's a plastic trug about 20 inches across and 15 deep, not planted up at all, I've seen several different size frogs and a newt! One frog I saw very close by was only about a half inch across whether it was born and bred in the pond I don't know but there aren't any other ponds near me. 

I now feel I should plant the pond up in the Spring, another job to add to the list.

• A half barrel purchased from a garden centre and sunk into the ground and level with the ground makes a lovely small pond.  We did this in my son's garden a few years ago and it is still a success and visited every year by frogs.