Forum home The potting shed

The new compost heap

Well I was planning a proper hot compost site to compost cat litter but am now just going for a hole for that. As I had everything ready anyway I thought I would experiment with seeing how hot I could get it. My son and I prepared the hole and he fed every spare worm he found to the chickens Luckily the idea is that the bacteria do it on their own and ti would potentially be too hot for worms anyway. He also found lots of woodlice and fed them to the chickens and the chickens ended up following him around the garden desperate for more.

So that was Friday evening. Checked it Sunday morning and the top felt warm to the touch and the centre was 31 degrees celsius, so it is definitely heating up. Nowhere near the 65 degrees you need to kill nasties in cat waste but still I was quite impressed. I might become a bit obsessed with checking the temperature, so haven't done it yet today!

My son has also gladly weed onto the pile twice now...

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    I'm glad you didn't put cat waste in your compost heap, because it is not recommended whatever temperature the compost reaches. The same goes for dog waste. Herbivore waste such as rabbit waste and farm animal waste is OK.

The chooks must have had a lovely treat!
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I'm so glad you've got it going and enjoying it. 'To save the planet, start with one garden'.image

• And a little boy is obviously very useful tooimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

• Hiya Welshonion - tried to quote but couldn't quite work out how to do it...

"Hotbin" are a company that produces compost bins that encourage the composting to occur at a high temperature between 40 and 65 degrees celsius. http://www.hotbincomposting.com/ They state that you can compost cat and dog waste in their bins because their bins reach above 60 degrees and therefore any pathogens would be killed.

I was trying to re-create a home bodge job version as I couldn't afford £185 although I would love one.

• I think the idea of the hotbin composting (made of black polystyrene) is a good one - but agree with Minos that they are far too expensive.

• valerie - the annoying thing is the only thing that will bring the price down is if it becomes more popular and they can reduce costs image We need to get other people to buy it and then when it is cheaper we can buy itimage

• I bet you won't get it as hot as it was when it came out of the cat !image