Forum home Fruit & veg

What size of container for potatoes

I have had 2 years of bad potato crops. image

My problem lies with the dreaded wireworm.  The only option is to stop growing potatoes for a few years and that should drive them out I have been told, so I am looking at growing them in pots.

My options are 65 litre or 80 litre pots.  Both are 41cm high and I am looking for your advice on if they are deep enough and what size would you recommend?

Many thanks.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I'm going to try growing them in old compost bags to see if I can get a winter crop.

Devon.
  • Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

I have successfully grown them in 15 litre pots, 1 tuber to a pot.

• I think the potato bags I use are only 40ltr and with three or four tub ours per one. Surprising how little they need really.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I nearly always grow in containers; just those 'potato bags' that you can buy in G/Cs. Some of them are quite small.image Also grow carrots in large pots as the height lifts them up too high for carrot root fly (in theoryimage)

• Hi Billy Goat. My method was included in a reply to a thread raised by Snowathlete on 31/10/14 Maybe you can look back to it? You do not need pots of greater size unless you wish to grow main crop. I have only ever used the black flower tubs bought from supermarkets 99p for about 15, they don't come much cheaper than that and can last a few years. These are the flower buckets delivered to supermarkets containing water and sold off as "used".

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I grow 1st earliers and 2nd earliers in potato sacks, cheap from pound shop & wilko (I'm sure other outlets are available) image the sacks will accomodate 3 chitted spuds. The sacks only last 2 maybe 3 years but far cheaper than GC ones. I grow my spuds in multi purpose compost and add some organic potato feed and I don't let them dry out. I don't get a huge crop but all are disease free and no nasties. I normally throw the compost on the flower beds after I've harvested my spuds. This year for the first time I have reused the sacks & compost and added more potato feed then planted a late crop of carrots in them and I'm thrilled with carrots I'm pulling up. When they are finished the compost will go on the flower bed. image  

I've also grow carrots earlier in the season in the same sort of sacks and no root fly image

Edit. I should have said I emptied the spuds out of the sacks onto plastic when I harvested them and removed all the roots and then re-filled the sacks with the original compost.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,781

I've tried builder's buckets (about 15l) with holes drilled in the bottom and got a pretty reasonable crop from 1 tuber per bucket so you should do OK with about 5-6 tubers in containers of that size. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

I grew spuds in bags for about five yrs before growing on an allotment for the first time this yr. 

In respect to 1st and 2nd earlies the only difference I've found is spuds may grow bigger on a plot than in bags but you are more in control of pests by growing in bags and as regards amount per plant I'd say it's about the same although you possibly get smaller spuds.  

Can't advise on pot sizes but you don't get the same depth in pots to allow the spuds to grow as you would in spud grow bags...bags can be bought cheaply from places like Wilko's. Providing you empty the sacks after harvest and store over winter they last indefinately.  

My brother grows in pots and recylce containers, we compared harvests and he didn't get the same return as those grown in bags.  

I'd advise you grow in grow bags and plant five seed spuds per bag...