Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Budlea Bush Pruning

Youtube shows different times to cut back

I think I should leave it until January as I live in Bristol....thats in the SW !!

? Any views please

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Usually end of winter NewBoy - Feb/March to cut right back, but you can take branches back by about a third at this time of year if you want to prevent wind rock. Mature Buddleias are quite top heavy but they're also quite shallow rooted, so they can be prone to damage during stormy weather. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

It is 6 foot tall and quite thin so I will attack it a bit now and do a proper job in Feb

Thanks FG

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

That's very true Tetley - they'll take any amount of hacking! I often just cut branches back as soon as they get too big for their boots image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • how do i take cuttings off my buddleias

Last edited: 28 October 2016 19:20:48

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Desperately easy Paul, hardwood or softwood cuttings, cut a 10 inch length off now and put it in some gritty compost in a clay pot and set to one side. It may well have rooted by spring. Softwood from the new growth in spring early summer again into gritty compost and they root in a few weeks.