Forum home Talkback

Always read the label!

Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Having spent weeks planting bulbs I have just become complacent!

i have planted dwarf iris instead if bluebells! if only I had kept them in the bag and checked first.  Will have double work next year lifting.

anyine else been a numpty?

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,565

Many times Lilyimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I once planted Calabrese instead of Sprouting Brocolliimage

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I took cuttings of Penstemon and stock which have both taken and pre-prepared labels.  No idea which is which.  They are so similar I'll just have to wait for them to grow up  a bit.image  Did the same with Lychnis and Astrantia seed but I can tell nowimage

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Oh I do feel betterimage

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Last year I thought I'd been a genius by propagating geums. Watered them, fed them, gave them pride of place in the greenhouse....turns out I'd actually propagated wild buttercups, commonly referred to as weeds! Great big fat thick healthy ones though! Doh!

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,368

I've forgotten what flower seed I direct sowed this autumnimage

They're all coming up but I havent a clue what they are and can only find last years empty seed packets.

I know it wouldn't have been bittercress though so I can start by thinning those outimage

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126
    A few years back I grew a fuchsia from seed. Only one seed germinated and I tended it with great care........and it turned out to be mint.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179

But you gave us all a damn good laugh Tootles so it wasn't all wasted!  image  

I 'lost' my anemones that I bought last autumn until I found something growing in spring which I didn't recognise and had no label. I'd put them in a pot and stuck some compost over them , meaning to see to them as soon as possible  - but forgot. They were still in the string bag...image 

I did get them all separated and potted up and they look quite happy. I just have to get them in the ground now image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Lily, making cock ups is often more fun than getting it right. I can't count the number of times I've done it. I do it all the time especially on the allotment. I often have to wait to see what comes up or what it develops into.

• Always remember what you've ordered too I've ordered some plants and forgotten were there going