Enlarging a pond

Hello, I'm new to the forum but have been looking through all the different threads and loved the pond threads.

I would like to enlarge our pond. The pond is an upturned roof box and has done well for 3yrs and attracts frogs, hover flies, dragon flies and we love it but want to make a much bigger pond. When is the best time to do enlarge the pond? When should we move the contents over and how?

thank you for your advice image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,285

I'd say do it now. Nothing is breeding and the plants will be pretty much heading to dormancy. However, I don't claim to be an expert  on ponds. Mine ( it was here when we bought the house ) pretty much looks after itself.

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,648

If you're making it in a separate area you can do it anytime Stagbeetle, then just put the contents of your box into it using a bucket or similar to transfer everything. Rainwater is best for topping it up so if you can get the pond done now you'll get lots of rain over winter for filling it. Alternatively you can fill it up with the hose and then transfer your wildlife in when you're ready. image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Thank you both for your replies image

I will have to dig the roof box up so will need to empty it, so plan to do the pond possibly in stages-I think (maybe). 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,882

check the debris carefully for dragonfly larvae etc. They stay in the pond over winterimage

• Nutcutlet- how do I do that, should I leave some water and plants in the bottom on the roof box until spring/summer? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,648

Think nut's gone out Sbeetle image

I think you could do it either way. If you can get everything into the new pond it will all settle down quite quickly so if you're able to get the new pond ready just get all the contents in right away. I think nut just meant don't leave anything in the bottom of the box as it's the part of the pond that supports so much wildlife.  image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,593

Hi Stagbeetle, I'd leave as much in the bottom of the roofbox as you and your helpers can lift (which may not be much as water is heavy!) and keep it aside until your new pond is in place, then tip it (or shovel it if a muddy layer) into the bottom of the new pond before filling.  This will give the new pond a massive head start as far as wildlife is concerned.  It will make the water very cloudy for a while of course but it will soon settle. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,882

I did go out. I've crippled my back again it all took agesimage

Yes, the bottom of a pond is full of interesting things. Perhaps you could bale (bail?) it out into some other containers for the duration of the job.

Great idea, making a bigger pond

• Also pouring through a fine sieve helps reveal all the small wildlife......you can then poke thru the silt and rescue.  It's a long job but satisfying each time you make a note of what you have.  Well, I found that to be the case but then I don't get out muchimage

• Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 564

If you want to keep the existing pond's water to transfer its present inhabitants and minerals into the new pond, those big flexi buckets hold masses.

Depending on how big the existing pond is a few of those might take it all.

Also saves having to dispose of too much water in other parts of the garden.