Forum home Talkback

Holly Bush monoecious or dioecious ?????

18 months ago I bought holly Blue Princess, all bushes had red berries, now 18 months later they all have red berries. There are no other holly trees/bushes within 1/4 of a mile. I bought them from a nursery here in Poland and the lady told me I did not need a male plant, she said they were monecious. I am not complaining, happy to have the berries, but everything I read tells me I need a male bush. Do male bushes have berries ? Is there a new variety of Blue Princess that is monecious?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,449

the naming of Holly is pretty weird at times, Golden King is actually female and Silver Queen is male.

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

I have thought you'd need a male for the berry production too, but if they all have berries and there are no other hollies round you...if it ain't broke Anthony image

Perhaps there's one tucked away in a garden that you can't see image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,510

As far as I know Blue Princess needs a pollinator - there must be one around somewhere, or you have some well travelled pollinating insects in your area. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,550

Bees can fly about 2 miles if they think it's worth it.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

Perhaps Blue Princess is like Bee caviar pansyface image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Anthony

there are some varieties of common holly that bear male and female flowers, J.C. Van Tol is an example, so it is guaranteed to bear fruit.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,510

JC Van Tol is a really useful holly.  image

But according to this website http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_17021.html and several others I've checked, Blue Princess is a female and needs a pollinator - my guess is there's a male within bee-flying distance.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh