Forum home Fruit & veg

Plumb Tree

Hello,

I have moved to a house with an established plumb tree. Can someone offer advice as to putting it to bed for the winter. Looks like it needs a good prune.

Thanks,

J

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,954

Too late this year to prune. It is likely to lead to silverleaf didease which could kill it.

Prune in summer next year.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881

Rake up any fallen leaves and clear an area of grass/weeds/plants around the base of the trunk. 

Over the winter enjoy watching flocks of long-tailed tits searching amongs its branches for insects; and in late February give it a dose of of Fish, Blood and Bone (as per pack directions). 

Over the winter have a read of this http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803095527122 and you'll be all ready for the spring.

Enjoy your plums image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881

And another thing - you could even hang some bird feeders among its branches to attract tits who will help keep aphid infestations down in the spring. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you both.