ASHES FROM INCINERATOR

Is there anything in the garden or allotment that would benefit from the ash that I have left over  from the incinerator?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,622

It depends on what you have been burning. if it is wood ash , then its good sprinkled around fruit trees in spring. if the wood had paint on, or plastics were involved, I would bin it.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,273

Not the crematorium?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,045

Our wood ash goes on the compost heap, I should think garden bonfire ash has a similar composition as long as the plastic pots and bags don't get in there

• image  My allotment neighbour has old dried and dead  brambles as well as young stuff that keep growing over into my plot so I cut them back to the boundary and used them. I also added some of my runner bean stems as I had so many  and some strawberry plants. 

In that case, I would use it on fruit trees, or mixed in the compost heap.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

all good stuffimage

There's something in my mind about ash and raspberries but wait til a fruit grower turns up to comment. I might have got that wrongimage

Its good on raspberries or blackcurrants too.image

I was right.image 

If I could find my raspberries amongst the nettles Id take the ash pan out there tomorrow

• Thanks folks.

What about red currants? Will be planting out  them and raspberries in my now-organised allotment in the next couple of weeks.  

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,273

Redcurrants and gooseberries like wood ash too.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.