Forum home Talkback

Forest School

Based just outside Whitstable we have been given the go ahead to create a Forest School. Help and advice would be useful. So would any feedback from local people and schools. In addition I want to create a growing area for schools to come in and grow their own food

• xx Posts: 100

Dane, get some books and/or local expertise, use the internet too. Don't rely on this place for help.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Hi Dane

I've never come across 'Forest School', can you explainimage

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 977

Hi Dane, like Nutcutlet I haven't heard of this type of school before and would like to know more. Thanks.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    There are books available which will help you. If you are doing it through the school they should find them easy to access.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,683

Hi Dane,  I used to work for the Wildlife Trust and I know that they train Forest School Leaders and also run Forest Schools on their sites and in the local community.  They are a good source of help and advice.  I believe that some councils also have Forest Schools leaders so that might also be useful.  It might also be useful trying to work with local businesses.  They might be willing to help fund the project if their staff can volunteer as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,534

Hi Dane, Unfortunately I have no advice to offer only encouragement.

My son went to a Forest school in the UK, from nursery age, and we were amazed at the things they did. He absolutely loved it, has given him a great foundation, a great respect and enjoyment of nature and he is so knowledgeable too. Certainly promoted independence and natural enquiry. 

Good luck with your project, super idea. image

Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors. – Mary Cantwell
  • Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I'm Forest School trained and you should have had the course if you are claiming to teach it in your school the proper training costs about £3000!  If none of you have trained as a Forest School leader then what you are doing is 'outside learning'.  It strikes me you wouldn't be asking if you'd had the training.  As part of the course you have to do an outdoor first aid course in case anyone gets impaled on a piece of wood, breaks a limb, and can recognise the signs of hypothermia, tick bites, poisoning etc.  I get quite annoyed when people say they are teaching Forest School when I spent a year doing what is the equivalent of an NVQ.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,641

We have Forest Schools in Norfolk - lots of info here plus links to the national association http://www.schools.norfolk.gov.uk/Teaching-and-learning/Environmental-and-outdoor-learning/Forest-school/index.htm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,924

I agree with Mrs G, I have a level 3 forest schools qualification and it cost me a fortune to get!!

you cannot advertise it as a forest school if no one has the forest school qualification, if you don't have the relevant qualification its called outdoor education or environmental education.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Dane, has said that they have been given the go ahead to create a forest school. Some of your comments are accusing him/her of false advertising, can you try and be a little bit friendlier please