Forum home The potting shed

The Supernatural

In response to something Verdun mentioned in the 'troubles' thread, I thought this might make an interesting subject for discussion.

On a personal level I have to say I've never experienced anything that I would class 'supernatural'. That said, I know people who have or at least allege to have had. One friend described going to a rambler's dinner/meeting in a country hall in the north of the county. He claims he knew his way to the conveniences without ever having been to that location before,in fact knew the whole layout of the house but insisted he had never been there in his life.

A different occasion was when he was in the army. They were resting up in the barracks and a few of his friends were messing around with an ouija board. Without warning, the windows began opening and slamming of their own accord. Yet the day was hot and still. Selective memory? Or a genuine supernatural incident? I'll add he is level-headed and a rational sort of bloke, or at least as far as I can tell.

I may have mentioned on another thread that I'm fond of ghost stories,so look forward to reading any input you guys might have whether negative or otherwise image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,488

We live in an old house that was once a pub. When we are standing at the sink with our backs to the window we sometimes see a shadow pass over the wall in front of us. Nobody goes past the window. No cars, no walkers, no cyclists. Just a shadow as if someone did. The window used to be the entrance to the pub.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

dangerous territory methinks. Some folk believe in Gods , Prophets, Angels and all sorts of other things. I'm not throwing my hat into the ring on this one.

Devon.
  • It is an intriguing subject to be sure but I think Hostafan is right .............could become rather more contentious than the original post intends. Hope it continues in a friendly fashion and it is certainly good timing ........a good ghost story coming up to Halloweenimage 

M R James's ghost stories were always cautioning against meddling with the unknown.

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

we have one . and  i see her shadow often . and both me and OH  have seen her . at the same time .image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

Indeed they were pansyface image 'A Warning to the Curious'.

No doubt Daniel will pull the thread if he sees fit. Though I'm not asking theological questions or attempting to undermine anyone's faith, only that if anyone has experienced the 'unexplained' and whether they would like to share it.

Loved the Jonathan Miller TV version of Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad. 

Michael Hordern as the academic was superb.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

That's a classic pansyface, I have his collected works and in my opinion he is unrivalled in his genre.

• xx Posts: 100

Yeah, if all I gonna be when I die is a "shadow" or a "rattling window" its a life well spent....wat a load of rubbish!!image