Forum home The potting shed

Agapanthus

Can anybody please tell me how to  store Agapanthus for the winter.  Mine still has leaves on do I let them die down and then take the bulbs out of the compost and then put them in the greenhouse or do I put them in the greenhouse before the frosts with the leaves still on them? I haven't grown them before and I don't want to lose them

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,556

I have some in the garden and some in a pot. I leave them where they are and the pot goes in a cold GH. I've brought it in already to avoid it being really wet when the cold weather comes. The potted ones have been in  their pot for bout 3 years.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 695

Hello, I have some large pots of  evergreen Agapanthus which used to be planted in the garden but I nearly lost them a few winters ago when it was very cold. 

First of all agapanthus don't have bulbs but have thickened root storage organs, and if grown in pots they like to be root bound so leave it in its pot. Just pop yours in the greenhouse and keep it dry, not bone dry. If you don't know whether it's deciduous or evergreen just wait to see what happens over the winter. I have one deciduous one which is in a border and dies back over the winter then re grows in the Spring, they are the tougher ones. My pots will be put somewhere sheltered to keep then dryish until the worst weather arrives then I'll attempt to get them into the greenhouse. Best of luck.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,356

I've both deciduous and evergreen varieties, The deciduous ones are left out , but this year, having my lovely new polytunnel, I'm going to take the evergreen ( less hardy ) ones up there. They've survived against a south facing house wall for 2 years, but here in Devon we get so much rain I don't want to get soaked, then freeze.

I'd say, if you have them in pots, and you can move them, and you have somewhere to put the, it won't do any harm to do so.

Devon.
  • All mine are in pots, deciduous and evergreen. If you are not sure which is which at this time the deciduous ones have narrow leaves, and the evergreen ones are  much thicker. 

The evergreen ones are kept in a cold greenhouse over winter, before the first frosts, and come out again in spring. Precisely when depends on the weather in your area but again don't risk frosts. Keep the compost slightly moist at most.

The deciduous ones are left until the leaves die down, and removed, and then I put a bin liner over the pot to keep the rain out and give a little bit of protection. This comes off in say late Feb/early March, and you don't have to worry overmuch about frosts ( they are hardy!) This seems to work for me in the deep south.

If in doubt and you have room take all of them under cover.image

I have never removed any from their pots, leaving them until they get so congested the flower power diminishes, which will take several years. I have some on their final warning. Incidentally mine seed into the gravel they sit on so I have babies to bring on for future plantings. they are very easy to tease up and pot.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,041

I get really cold winters so grow mine in pots which I over winter in a cold but insulated greenhouse.   A few years ago I lost the lot but it was an exceptonally long, cold winter with weeks below -20C.    

Nothing daunted, I now have more including some babies of the original plants returend to me by friends who had received seedlings from me.

In the UK, they should be OK in pots in a greenhouse but be careful not to bring them back outside too early next spring and start watering slowly and leaving the greenhouse doors open during the day so they can get accustomed to the temps outside again.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The RHS page on Agapanthus gives some good advice, very much confirming the above. Also some indications of names for evergreen and deciduous.

• I have 3 Arctic Star agapanthus which I planted in a pot last spring, giving them just a little elbow room, but not too much.  They flowered beautifully - see pic.  The pot was standing in a flower bed, and when I came to move it today I discovered that the plants' roots had gone through the bottom of the pot and about 4" into the soil.  Should I repot the plants into a deeper container next spring?  The trouble is, I have problems moving large pots around, and Steve of Hoyland Plants said to bring them under cover in November.  Looks like a no win situation.  image 

• And here is a photo which includes the pot (though the bottom inch or so is below the top of the soil to keep it steady in windy Harrogate!)

• I think you can repot it in the same pot tucking the roots in again. They don't mind a bit of crowding. You are a few years away from needing a larger pot. But you must find someone to help you move it under cover before the first frosts. It looks like  a half/hardy/tender one from here.

Beautiful plant by the way, and a good white collection.

If you do repot try a square one which will withstand your northern winds better. A taller pot would be problematic?

• BiljeBilje Posts: 695

For anyone thinking of repotting, don't make the mistake I did when I first started with mine. I was given bare rooted plants and potted them into attractive glazed pots which curved over at the rim. A couple of years later they had grown well and looked like they were climbing out the pot. Then the fun started, I couldn't get them out, one we carved out the pot with a an old kitchen knife and yes the plant and the pot a survived. The others we ended up having to smash the pots! Sloping sided pots from now on!