Forum home Talkback

brussel sprouts

Hiya guys just preparing a raised bed for Brussels next year. The earth that I've just used is from a small woodland area that's being cleared for about 15 new houses.  I've scrounged 4 cubic tonnes. It's full of leaf mould and I've riddled it really well. Problem is its really fine going to put blood fish and bone on will I have to support the sprouts whith canes? All suggestions greatly received thanks Mike

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,574

Hello Micheal image

I would always stake Brussel's Sprouts growing in a raised bed - I've never found the soil in a raised to be firm emough for sprouts or broccoli without support.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for the info dove what else would grow alongside would  broccoli work in between new to this? Thanks Mike

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,574

Broccoli forms large plants like Brussels sprouts, so not really suitable for interplanting with them if you're looking to save space.

I've not tried it, but I think that Little Gem lettuces, sown at the same time that you plant out your Brussels sprouts plants next year, would reach maturity quickly and not impede the growth of the sprouts.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Radishes image

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

spring onionsimageimage

• Make sure your sprouts are firmed in really well, any looseness around the base of the stem will result in blown sprouts.

• You "must plant your brussels in concrete" ( ancient technical term). Honestly if you want your sprouts to be firm and not loose the plant must be very firmly trodden in. image

• How big do the plants get? I only have a very small patch but want to grow some next year - so wondering if there is a small/compact variety which crops well? Also was surprised at the price of seed when I looked in the shop today, why so much?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,777

Many of them are F1 hybrids and the seeds are expensive as they require quite a bit of effort to produce.  Even dwarf varieties like "Jade Cross" will grow to about 2 feet tall with standard varieties some 2-4ft but usually about 3ft.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

at my allotments, the height of sprouts varies from plot to plot. Mine are only about two feet tall at the most but others are between 3-4 ft

I've got Evesham in, amd I'm told that they won't go above 2ft. I planted 14 plug plants, and recently had to get rid of 8 because they weren't doing anything. They'd either grown up but without sprouts developing or just grown fat instead of up. The rest all seem to be doing fine image 

i just want the sprouts to grow quicker so I can have some with the C word dinner image