Can you help identify this plant (v. 2) ?

foxtrotfoxtrot Posts: 16

Here is a plant I saw in Victoria BC this month.  Any idea what it is ?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,739

phlomis russeliana, I'd say

Devon.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,736

The flower spike looks like a phlomis, but not sure about the leaves - are they the same plant?

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,259

It is the herbaceous phlomis. I have it in my garden. There is a shrubby one too.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,739

phlomis fruiticosa is the shrubby one, but it doesn't have the flowers in tiers, just at the end of the stems

Devon.
  • foxtrotfoxtrot Posts: 16

Thank you. With your information, the best parallel picture I have found is on specialperennials.com/phlomis showing the seed-heads with winter frost. The description regarding the leaves holds too.

• I grow two phlomis - the one with yellow flowers and the one with pink flowers which are also in tiers.  They do really well in my garden in the Languedoc which us very hot and dry for three months in the summer, but can then be ravaged by icy winds from the mountains in winter.  Is russeliana a different one? How hardy is it and what colour are the flowers?  I'm always on the lookout for anything that might be able to tolerate difficult growing conditions without need ing attention.

Looking on websites, russeliana has pink flowers.  I've also found pictures of a white one phlomis anisodonta "alba" which has lanceolate leaves.  Apparently someone in the Quercy region has one, so it could perhaps do well too in your part of the country too.

• Thanks Foxtrot - I'll keep my eyes peeled and secateurs at the ready to pinch a cutting or two when I find one.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,117

Phlomis russeliana, has two colour yellow flowers around the stem. Goldfinches like the seed heads. You won't get any weeds around this plant as it is quite close growing. there are also a pink flowered version, a lilac flowered version and a deep yellow version, the green leaves all look different to the russeliana

Thanks.  My error re the flower colour.