Mystery Plant arrived in my garden

I am a completely clueless gardener i'm afraid and during the summer this started to grown in the boarder, It had beautiful white flowers on it all summer but its now turned to these green and Black berries. I dont know what it is and if its a weed that should be pulled up. I'm also concerned that could be berrys be harmful? any help would be great

Many thanks Louise 

• It's Black Nightshade (Solanum nigra). The berries are poisonous, like most of the potato family. Pull it out when young, it's quite tough when mature.

• Thank you, I'm heading out to pull it up now! I have no idea how it got there

see Clueless but always willing to learn

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

Weed seeds hang around in the soil for years,waiting to germinate when conditions are rightimage

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Birds are the usual suspects when plants like that arrive uninvited.  It can be a good thing though, my snowdrops have spread to all sorts of places I would not have put them thanks to birds eating the seeds.  We have a road information sign outside our driveway, and there is now a lovely big patch of snowdrops under there where the birds sit and digest supper!!