Magnolia berries

FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

I was gathering up the leaves under my magnolia tree this morning and noticed a cluster of very shiny red berries on it image 

I have lived here for 6 years and not once has it produced berries. 

I gather that they are seeds. Are they ok for planting? presumably best to start in pots? Do they need any particular type of soil? Is there a best time of year to sow them? 

whats the best way to get the seeds out of the berries?

sorry for all the questions (and disgustingly bad grammar, this is perhaps the only site that my iPad doesn't autocorrect lol) Thanks image 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

The berries are the seeds.

They need soaking first to remove the waxy coating on them. Then they need to be sown in ordinary seed compost, straight away. Put the seed pot outside and leave it for the weather to do its worst and if they are going to germinate, it will be in Spring. they can take more than one winter so be patient. And watch out for rodents, they will dig up and eat the seeds.

I have seen advice on here of putting the sown seeds in a bag of compost in the Salad compartment of the fridge for three months. Never tried it myself so cannot comment on the efficacy.

• FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

Thank you image 

do they need soaking in warm water? Is it a soak overnight job? 

Yes and yes. sorry for the incomplete answer.

Don't be sorry, not an incomplete answer at all image 

thank you so much for replying, very much appreciated 

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Please do tell if you are successful, it would be pretty impressive and we'd love to know. 

I have managed to get the seeds to germinate, but sadly utterly failed to get the seedlings to grow on thereafter. Not sure why. Probably bad watering regime.

I hope I can nurture them image 

I've got five seeds soaking. When its in full blossom, you can smell my tree as you walk down the street image People are always commenting on how lovely it looks and smells as they're passing so hopefully I can get these going image