cucumber

I have been clearing the greenhouse and found a marketmore cue which had grown outof sight I suspect this (,not fully green cue) may be slightly bitter if eaten raw is there any use for this ie cook or extract seed or simply discard it?

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,979

Cook it - peel the skin, chop up remove middle slime seeds - cut in half then half again long ways into small long bits then into pieces sideways cook in a pain with melted butter until golden brown - taste really nice

Hampshire Gardener
  • Catbee2Catbee2 Posts: 25

Make into soup. Part peel skin, slice length-wise. Remove seeds (with tea spoon).and chop. Put in saucepan with 2 chopped spring onions and fry gently for 2/3 mins. Add approx 100grms chopped potato and three quarters pint of veggie or chicken. stock. Bring to boil and simmer until tender. Salt and Black Pepper to taste.  Zizz up if you prefer smooth. Sounds complicated but is really easy.

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,979

I do cucumber soup with 500g cucumber peeled and chopped, 1 chicken stock cube and water 100g potatoes peeled and chopped into cubes and I add spaghetti  

Blend smooth and enjoy - I really like it

Hampshire Gardener
  • Catbee2Catbee2 Posts: 25

Not tried spaghetti Gardengirl but I sometimes add mint and peas!

• thanks to you both i'll give it a whirl,