Rotating Beans Yes / No

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,307

Can you or should you grow runner beans and other types of beans in the same place evry year

A friend says that "the old boys " on his site have been doing it for 15 years +

Does it differ depending on the variety

Any other experience would be appreciated

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892

if you dont rotate any veg , you are more likely to get a build up of disease. 

With  beans it would most likely be chocolate spot. also if the beans stay in the same place, how are you going to rotate your other stuff such as brassicas which follow beans. ?

If you have had any disease at all, I would plant in a fresh spot the following year.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,307

Thanks FB & Verdun

2015 will be the start of my 4th season from January next

I have made lots of mistakes and had successes and tried different processes depending who has given me advice !!

This season I have split my Plot into A B and C and will rotate from October 2015 but I felt that beans were the exception

I think I have learnt about "feeding " the soil and caring for the vegs

? Do beans do well in shaded areas ie next to a hedge with some bit being 6 to 8 foot tall

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

From my early years I saw my Father rotate, and I did too when I got my own Gardens. It is over four beds size does not matter 1) Legumes and pods, 2)Alliums (onions) and leeks, 3) Root crops and tubers, 4) Brassicas (all the cabbage family) Kale swedes radishes etc. Each year move one block clockwise. Legumes roots feed Nitrogen into the ground which is why Brassicas move into that bed. It has its faults, four years is not enough to get rid of club root and the way to deal with that is to grow brassicas in pots then transfer the whole pot to the plot setting in a larger hole with some good compost.

These days I grow my Beans and Peas in large containers for ease plus the Grandchildren find them easy to pick and eat fresh. with an allotment rotation would be necessary but small gardens it could be done moving different types into containers of fresh soil. You toss the coin and take your pick, there are no wrong ways in gardening.

Frank.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,240

I've always rotated all crops but my father grew runner beans in the same spot for 25 years or more so it seems this particular plant isn't as prone to the build-up of diseases or exhaustion of particular soil nutrients as most are.  Although I move mine about, I still use the composting trench technique, as my father did:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/fruit-and-vegetables/how-to-make-a-composting-trench/3600.html

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.