Indoor Plant

Catbee2Catbee2 Posts: 25

I need a new house plant for a dull draughty corner? Ideas would be most welcome.image

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,014

When I were a lad, dull and draughty corners often had a Mother-in-law's Tongue in them (Sansevieria trifasciata)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

There is a good reason why people joke about aspidistras living forever in a dark corner, they will survive no end of neglect and cold.  Mind, they do a great deal better with a bit of TLC instead!

• Catbee2Catbee2 Posts: 25

Thank you both. Such choice!!!

• but the mother in laws tongue has the most fragrant flowers which open at night and will scent a room for days on end - and won't get upset if you forget to water it for months on end.

Ah. Might go for that then Gardenning Granny. Thanks image

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

Morning Catbe2,we have a very dark hallway but the Peace Lily grows well either about 8/10 feet from a window or in dark places such as this dark corner , at present she has 10 flowers ,P/Lills are a very good plant for air cleaning in a home as well, also thrives in bathrooms ,if you buy one be careful dont overfeed or it will go rough and dark green ,and rainwater only ,,,,imageok

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

Sorry ment to put in to show how dark it is 

• I too have a dark corner of a room, and have tried all sorts of plants but eventually they expire, so I was pleased to see this thread. I think I'll buy a peace lily, though I was looking for something quite tall. Any suggestions?

I had a Peace Lily Alan4711 but it was not happy and eventually expired despite TLC, I think it is the draught that causes the problem, but thanks anyway. The Mother in laws tongue look as if they could get tallish Diggindoris.

• ...My mother-in-laws tongue is a tad over a metre high, but I've had it over twenty years now!