Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

how to grow Bignonia from seed

I've brought home a seed pod from a beautiful bignonia and as it is now brown and hard decided to crack it open.  It is full of winged seeds, thin as tissue paper.

Should I plant them now? Stratify? keep in a warm place? or wait until spring?  Or is it just wishful thinking that I can grow my own?

I know somebody will know and whoever gave me the advice on planting agapanthus seed - a big thank you as I now have many good sized plants.  I didn't think they would be that easy!

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Sow your Begonia seeds in the Spring. They need warmth to germinate.

Agapanthus, easy from seeds you just have to wait for a few years till they flower!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks Lyn, but they are not begonia, but bignonia (sometimes called the trumpet vine)

good to see you are reconnected to email.

• Thank you - I'm going to try the oleander seed - looks like feathers - I brought back too.  Let me know if you'd like some of those to try.  I love a challenge.

Finally got some of the caudatum seeds planted today, too.   Watch this space!