Forum home Plants

Invasive shrub

Jesse2501Jesse2501 Posts: 148

This looks like a lovely shrub. It has been in flower for months now. But my neighbour says it has spread all over his borders. Any idea what it is? It looks like a mallow. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,511

Japanese anemone - hardy herbaceus perennial and great for late summer and autumn colour.   Can be invasive when happy but is easy enough to control when the new growth starts to show.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Jesse2501Jesse2501 Posts: 148

Brilliant. So if I pot up this section it should give nice colour and I can control it. Thanks so much. 

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

It's a good plant to put where other things struggle to grow

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,200

Cannot agree with Obelixx on this occasion. It is not easy to control. I have been pouring weed killer on a section of a border for over 5 years now to  try to get rid of this utterly pernicious weed and I noticed today that there is new growth appearing.

Never, never, never ever plant it, except n a concrete pot  where its roots cannot escape.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,280

Mines been in here for about 20 years, the patch 

is no bigger now than it was then. Its perfectly happy in my acid soil, flowers beautifully, all you need to do is get a spade and chop down in the shape you want it, the roots can be contained by putting 

a plastic membrane down about a foot,

You need to do your gardening housework like any other, just keep eye on it. It wont take over if you dont let it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,200

How is pouring weed killer on it, letting it spread? Would not mind but we never planted it in the first place.

And in one area I removed all the soil to a depth of three quarters of a metre and replaced the soil with pure sand and gravel to make an alpine growing area. The  anemone has made a reappearance in there recently after  3 years absence.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,511

Berghill, I know you're an experienced gardener whose advics is sound but I've never had a problem controlling this plant and have even struggled to get the white one to grow at all.   I have far more problems with phlomis russeliana spreading itself with gay abandon and, of course, weeds like nettles, couch grass, creeping buttercup, dock, thistles, flag iris and mares'tail that won't take a hint.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,265

Mine has been in it's place for over 15 years, has spread a bit but certainly isn't invasive.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,025

Sorry Im with Berghill on this the pink one that was in my garden before I moved in has spread everywhere and Im never out of the garden, always weeding and keeping things under control.  It's now in next doors garden have grown under the fence.  Ive dug it up but just a tiny bit of root will start a new plant.  It was dug up about 3 months ago but is already growing through, it just keeps coming back.  I suspect I just have soil it likes but I would certainly recommend planting it in some kind of container just in case you have the type of soil it loves.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,025

Just noticed that a couple of you who havent had any trouble have acid soil.  I dont I have neutral soil, perhaps thats the answer.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands