Acers - Rewarding - easy to grow ?

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,535

Friends

I am considering planting an Acer for the colour and elegance

I have a plot some 3 ft x 3 ft to use

Have you any experience in growing acers

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..there are lots to choose from, what sort do you like? dwarf, tall?... I still enjoy the oft seen Acer palmatum 'atropurpureum' and we can ignore 'ultimate heights' as it takes years before it might outgrow its welcome... depending on what you've got growing around that little plot..

I have a dwarf one, that spreads wider than tall... nice colour right now...in the background here... but I prune to shape...

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

They need to be planted away from the wind and strong sunlight, preferably in ericaceous soil

• I have one that i planted small some years ago which is about six foot now. It's very nice, but i'm probably going to cut it down shortly. It's taking up too much space where I now want to grow some veg. I found it easy to grow and look after and it didnt require any special soil in my case.

• allium2allium2 Posts: 413

I love Acers but as Fleurisa says they hate any kind of stress. They don't do very well on my sandy soil and although its fairly sheltered the combination of free draining soil and wind causes the leaves to drop. 

This is my acer 'garnet' in a pot rather than planted in the garden.....fraid all the leaves have gone now. image