Forum home Plants

Something to cover a pergola that doesn't drop flowers

Hi all, We did have a car port on the side of the house. We used it a lot and it turns out it had benefits of keeping water from pooling on the drive. Then it fell down. We have decided to build a pergola to replace it and grow something up it to make it a little more private. I would love Wisteria but I would hate it getting all over the place when the flowers drop. So does anyone have any advice for non-destructive climbers? Kind regards

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,391

Hi Kieran

I would think that just about anything that flowers will drop petals to some extent when the blooms die back. Some will be worse than others & some will also produce berries which may look pretty but could make a terrible mess - especially if you are planning to park cars underneath.

I would consider one of the clematis montanas for spring flowers, perhaps a jasmine for summer scent if the conditions are right and perhaps some nice ivies for year round interest. 

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,795

What about a vine?  Hopefully you'd pick and eat all the grapes so they wouldn't fall and make a mess. 

The flowers are very small and so wouldn't make too much mess when they fall. 

If I were you I think I'd look at the Alpina varieties of clematis - they have flowers of course, and lose most of their leaves in the autumn, but in my experience they don't make too much of a mess and aren't too rampant.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• You could choose an ornamental vitis, they don't often produce flowers or fruits, and their autmn leaves are beautiful.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

What about one of those plastic iviesimage

Nut!  imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Was that naughty Dove?image

• Plastic would be great... although I'm sure it would fade in the sun.

It's a tricky one. All plants shed flowers, leaves, seeds and it shows on hard surfaces more than on soil/grass.

Avoid berries, they stain.

nutcutlet wrote (see)

Was that naughty Dove?image

Maybe not Nut, maybe that would suit perfectly .......

Guaranteed for five years

http://www.ukgardenproducts.co.uk/artificial-hedges

Maybe if it fades it could be resprayed image