Forum home Talkback

early spring

plase can anyone tell me why my spring bulbs are showing now and can i stop them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,460

It's what they do Graham - there's no need to stop them, they'll slow right down as the weather gets cooler. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• thank you most concerned as never planted spring bulbs before.image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

All the seasons seem to be mixed up this year.  There are lots of plants putting on new growth as if it were spring.  When the frost comes it'll all be killed and they'll look dreadful all winter.  Climate change image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,556

Next year try planting them deeper. Could be the reason, we are very mild here but no sign of bulbs up yet.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Ah yes.  There is that.  (Of course the frost won't harm the snowdrops/crocuses/daffs.  Many's the time I've seen them poking through the snow.  Snow.  Remember that?)

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Snow? Never heard of it.

Out of the bulbs I planted up there are some tiny little crocus shoots and a Hyacinth popping through.

I'm not worried, these are tough plants.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

It's very mild here too.  The Dahlia my mum bought me had finished flowering and this week has produced another flower....even though it had started dying back, I was surprised at that. No sign of bulbs though.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

My bulbs are coming up too.  Shouldn't think this mild weather can last for much longerimage Cold must be on it's way.

• Thank you all for your messages ill keep fingers crossed that i did dig to the correct depth.image